Friday, July 25, 2008

God is utterly in control and it is good

This week I have been meditating on God's sovereignty over his creation and his goodness towards us. This morning I was thinking through the last part of Romans 8.

"What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things."

The context for this passage is God's promise that he will "work all things together for good for those who love him and are called according to his purpose." It is truly astonishing to hear the bluntness of Paul in making this assertion: "What, you don't think God has your good in mind? He didn't even spare his own son for you. In fact, his son took your place!" It gives me joy to no end to know God's love for me in the gospel .

As Asaph says in Psalm 73:25,26, "Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

No comments: